Sentence Structure #2 Type
Hai Hai Gangs!
Hihihi cepetkan saya sharenya kali ini, padahal lagi masa-masa UTS 😀 but it’s okay lah.
Nah, today’s topic is about Compound Sentence. It’s the second type of sentence in general. Ini dia penjelasannya:
A compound sentence is formed by the combination of two or more simple sentences (also called independent clause) which are joined by a coordinate conjunction (171). Moreover, when they are connected, a comma is usually used (Azar “Fundamental of English Grammar 3rd Edition” 226).
The conjunctions can be used, for instance (Alexander 8):
- Addition: (and) My brother loves reading, and he reads at least 5 books a month.
- Contrast: (but) I love you, but you love her.
(yet) Barbara is beautiful, yet she is single.
*Bedanya BUT itu dipakai untuk sesuatu yang lebih contrast.
- Choice: (or) Do we have a class on Tuesday, or is Tuesday a holiday?
(nor) Lily is not interested in bowling, nor does she like tennis. (Chacravarty and Boehme 151)
- Reason: (for)* Achyar cannot come to the class, for he is sick.
*FOR cannot be preceded by not, but or any conjunction:
He stole, not because he wanted the money, but because he liked stealing. (For is not possible)
For also cannot be used in answer to a question:
Why did you do it? ~ I did it because I was angry. (For is not possible)
(Thomson and Martinet 268)
- Result: (so)* It is raining now, so I decide to cancel my travel plan.
* The word so has three meanings in English, and only one of them whose meaning is as result in coordinate conjunction which needs a comma (False et al. 171).
She studied all night, so she is really tired. (= result; a comma is necessary)
She studied all night so she would pass today’s exam. (= purpose; never use a comma)
She studied all night so that she would pass today’s exam. (So is a short form of so that)
She is so beautiful. (= very; never use a comma)
Nevertheless, when a sentence has an unexpected result, it often uses but (Azar “Fundamental of English Grammar 3rd Edition” 230).
The room is dark, so I turn the lamp.
The room is dark, but I do not turn the lamp.
Lalalalalala.. heheh gimana? clear?
Kalau belum, comment di bawah ini, and I’ll try to answer it based on what I find in the book, supaya lebih terpercaya. hehehe
See you in the next posts…